Monday, April 13, 2009

Good Reads & Scrap Happy



Today is the official launch date of Kathryn Magendie's Tender Graces and I cannot wait to hold a copy in my hand! The first Amazon review is up too. It is purely magical:

Kathryn Magendie's debut novel is a tour de force of lyrical storytelling, heartfelt intuitions, and exquisite detail. TENDER GRACES qualifies as an "Oprah book" in the best sense of the term: This story of a dysfunctional family who are neither all bad nor all good, but simply very flawed and human, examines a broad spectrum of marriage, childhood, emotional abuse, forgiveness and family loyalty. Warm without being overly sentimental, funny without being frivolous, and poignant without being maudlin, Tender Graces is a strong start for Magendie's career as a novelist. If you love the novels of Barbara Kingsolver, Anne Tyler and Sue Monk Kidd then this book is for you.

And speaking of book launches, Kim Richardson's The Unbreakable Child just came into the world this month also. I'm almost through reading it, and all I can say is this -- it's devastatingly honest and a page turner. If you haven't already, order one soon!

Thanks to Rebecca Nazar of Twist Whimsy for the Honest Scrap blog award! Since I love making new meals from scraps, the new bling makes me smile. The rules of bestowal say:

This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blog content or design is, in the giver’s opinion, brilliant.

1. When accepting this auspicious award, you must write a post bragging about it, including the name of the misguided soul who thinks you deserve such acclaim, and link back to the said person so everyone knows she/he is real.

2. Choose a minimum of 5 blogs that you find brilliant in content or design. Or improvise by including bloggers who have no idea who you are because you don’t have five friends. Show the five random victims’ names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with Honest Weblog. Well, there’s no prize, but they can keep the nifty icon.

3. List at least ten (10) honest things about yourself. Then pass it on!

  1. I really do love grits.
  2. I cleaned houses & offices for 10 years, but could really use a maid.
  3. Love dogs, but not so much the other four-legged fur balls.
  4. Naps are one of my secret pleasures.
  5. My feet are huge.
  6. Poetry peels my apple.
  7. My finished manuscript keeps taunting me because I have not worked on revisions in a long time.
  8. I have an identical twin sister...and she's thin.
  9. The big Five-Oh approacheth.
  10. I have two tattoos.

How can I possibly choose just five blogs for the award? I'll just run my mouse randomly down my Rockin' Blogs list with my eyes closed because I love each and every one of them and let Chance pick~~
  • Eight Days to Amish - Who wouldn't love a guy who once ate like Elvis for a week in the name of research?

  • Midlife Jobhunter - Because she's trying to find a balance between home and the workplace. No easy journey, that.

  • Scobberlotch - Dontcha love the name? This is the bloggy home of Karen Harrington, author of Janeology.

  • Catbird Scout - Home of Deb Schucka filled with beautiful photos and life commentary.

  • Grosvenor Square - Melissa Marsh always generously shares writing thoughts and other goodies.

21 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

A twin???

congrats, congrats, congrats.
xoxoxox

Debbie said...

I am so happy for Kimmi and Kat! What an exciting month for the literary world to have two new books appearing by such amazing women.
Congrats on your award and that was a fun way to pass them on. I am not familiar with two of those blogs but I already love three of them. I must go over and introduce myself to the other two!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Thank you, Friend...*smiling*

You don't have big feet...hell, if you had feet my size, think how weird that would look -- now if I had your feet on my 5'2" body,then they'd look big *laughing* -- but you are tall and your feet are Just Right! huhn!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Thank you, Vodka Mom! Yeah, I was just too much to fit into one package, so God made two of us. :)

So right, Debbie. Love our bloggy authors. Thanks for checking out the new-to-you links.

Kathryn, LOL. 10W is BIG no matter how you look at it. *wink*

Linda Hoye said...

I can't wait to get Kathryn's book in the mail. I am about halfway through Kimmi's book right now and it is breaking my heart. Have a great day, Angie!

Terri Tiffany said...

I've ordered her book and can't wait to open it and see her words:) This is an exciting time for Kathryn and it's fun being part of it with her.

Karen Harrington said...

Awww, shucks! Thanks for this award. So, 10 Things, huh?

I'm looking forward to reading The Unbreakable Child, too.

Thanks again!

Rebecca Nazar said...

I have one tattoo--a small flower. I hope to attain at least one more.

Jessica Nelson said...

What an incredible review. I'm gonna have to hop on over there.
LOL about your thin twin! :-)

Carrie Wilson Link said...

"If you love the novels of Barbara Kingsolver, Anne Tyler and Sue Monk Kidd then this book is for you."

Check, check, check! I'm on my way over to Amazon!

Melissa Amateis said...

Thanks, Ang!

What are your tattoos of?

Angie Ledbetter said...

Me too on Kat's book, Linda. And I just finished Kimmi's today and wrote an Amazon review. Heartbreaking, isn't it?

Terri, sure is! Give us hope for when our day comes, huh? :)

Your welcome, Scobber! Can't wait to read your JANEOLOGY too! Wheeeeee, so many good people and their good books!

Go for it, Becca. I love the little hummingbird on my ankle. :)

LOL, Jessica. I tell her we're missing out on instant Jenny Craig money!

Carrie....don't we hope someone says similar things about our books one day? :)

You're welcome, Melissa. (A hummingbird and a hot mess I need to have corrected for the other one. LOL)

Jim said...

"Poetry peels my apple."

That, in and of itself, is about as poetic as it gets.

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

I'm buying that book. . . but I'm thinking that if I were smarter, I could have WRITTEN that book . . .

dysfunctional? flawed? human? That's me!

Anonymous said...

If you're sellin', I'm buyin'!

Off to see the selections and I just remembered I need to add Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible to my favorite book list.

Congrats on the award! I belived you loved grits, always.

Now off to the writer of Janeology as I know a Jane.

Fragrant Liar said...

First time to your blog, via Midlife Jobhunter, and I must say your award bestowed on her is well deserved. She always has something poignant and provocative to say.

I'll be back again.

Deb Shucka said...

Thanks so much for the mention, Angie! I'm thrilled to be in your post, and honored to be in the same vicinity as Kat's new book.

colbymarshall said...

Yay for the book launchings of buddies!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Thanks, Jim. Glad you liked. :)

LOL, Liz. You won't be disappointed.

TTWC, what a great compliment. The Poisonwood Bible is one of my favs too.

Thanks, Fragrant!

Deb, my pleasure.

Hey, Colby! What's kickin', chicken?

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Well, gee. I'm honored. Thank you for the recognition and award. Now I'll really have to think about my next post. Ten honest things about myself? HMMMM...

kimmi said...

((((Angie))))), I must have missed this, thank you most kindly. Sometimes I think the cyber gremlins steal my comments. : shakes head in wonder:

Thank you, my friend. Voting every morning!!!!

Labels (Posts, not Peoples)

Powered By Blogger