Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Poetry Contest Winner


Congratulations to all you brave poets who entered the contest. It's fun and fascinating to me to cull through a specific set of words and come up with something totally new. It's like figuring out a jigsaw puzzle with no picture on the box cover to guide you. Or picking through a page of words, trying to decode a secret message within.

As usual, it was hard picking a winner, but I really like the way Embee at A Would-Be Writer distilled all the photo caption entries and came up with an image-infused poem that saturated my eyeballs and mind with Louisiana elements. Her poem was cohesive. I could "hear" the poet's voice without being overwhelmed by it, if that makes sense.

Reading and rereading your entries reminded me of an important rule of thumb for writing both prose and poetry: What you leave out is just as important as what you decide to keep.

Thanks again to all who entered, and we'll do it (or something similar) again soon. Now...the winner:


Mesmerized by the stillness of the water,
Drowned in memories of dusky summer promises.
The sunlight filtered through the trees
As the Spanish moss drooped above.
My place for reflection.
Around that corner.
Welcome home.

10 comments:

Susan R. Mills said...

Congrats Embee! Very nice poem, indeed. Loved the contest, Angie! I can't wait for the next one.

Paper Whisperer said...

Beautiful job Embee! Angie, that was more fun than I have had in a very long time. Thanks for letting me be a part. I'll look forward to your next "challenge." Huggage, PW

M. Bail said...

Thanks so much Angie! And thanks to everyone else for the congrats. I had loads of fun with this. Like you, Angie, I like the idea of culling out words from someplace else and making them into something new. As a reader, I can always count on your blog to be fun and challenging!

Anita said...

Congrats Embee!!! Lovely poem!

Jody Hedlund said...

Congrats! Beautiful poem! I'm always amazed at writers who can capture something in so few words!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Very nice *smiling* Congrats to the writer: Embee!

Krista Phillips said...

Very nice poem! I am pretty much queen of bad poetry... *grin* I can't rhyme worth a lick! I'm jealous of those who can!

colbymarshall said...

love the "drowned in memories" line...gorgeous :-)

Marguerite said...

Beautiful poem, Embee! And great contest, Angie. Come on over for a visit, cher, and pick up your award!!!

Deb Shucka said...

Really beautiful poem.

Labels (Posts, not Peoples)

Powered By Blogger