Prep: 20 min., Cook: 15 min.
Makes 4 servings
· ½ pound for one recipe if you double the recipe which I always do for large family gatherings then use a whole pound of bacon ( depending on how much bacon you like, reserve bacon drippings to saute the shrimp in later)
· 3 cups water (I substituted chicken broth for more flavor)
· 1 cup whipping cream (I have used Half & Half or even regular milk as well)
· 1/4 cup butter or margarine (in true southern style I threw in a whole stick of butter!)
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup quick-cooking grits, uncooked
· 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· Garnishes: chopped fresh chives, peeled and cooked shrimp, freshly ground black pepper
Bring 3 cups water, cream, butter, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium, and whisk in grits. Cook, whisking constantly, 7 to 8 minutes or until mixture is smooth.
Stir in 1 pound shrimp, cheese, and garlic, and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Garnish as desired.