Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sad Cake Recipe



Today's good food installment comes from one of those nifty email recipe exchange thingies. I don't know the person who sent it to me, nor have I tried the actual making of this good dessert yet, but it meets my Cooking Requirements List (CRL) -- easy, inexpensive, (from what I can tell) yummy, and made from things usually already in the house.

I can't figure out how this recipe got its odd name, unless it's because you're sad when the last piece is gone. As always, lemme know if you try this at home, and how it turned out.

Sad Cake

2 cups Bisquick
4 eggs
1 box of dark brown sugar
walnuts or pecans

Mix together Bisquick, eggs, brown sugar and nuts of your choice (optional). Bake at 350 in greased pan until sides start to come away from the side of the pan.

{Note: Hey, a little time reference woulda been nice here. I guess you're supposed to hover over the oven and make sure it doesn't burn? Or...maybe that's how it got its name...you're sad you gotta hang out in the kitchen babysitting it?} :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a winner. Easy too. I think this would be a good one for Colby to get started on.
Oren

t i m said...

I can turn on a kettle & make burnt toast, that's as far as my culinary skills extend so far, but maybe 2009 is the year of change, yes we can. :)

Janna Leadbetter said...

SAD cake? But it would make me so happy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Jane! said...

How can any cake be sad?
1 box of dark brown sugar?? How much is that? My brown sugar comes in bags. Now what?
I knew it was too good to be true...

Michelle H. said...

Mmm...yum!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oren, lemme know if you try it in your Dutch oven, please. :)

t i m, I promise ya, any recipe you see here is really doable.

You're welcome, Janna.

Jane, Jane, Jane. Google up how many cups of brown sugar are in a box and scoop that much out of the bag. :)

Hey Michelle!

Melissa Amateis said...

Hmm...how about I add chocolate chips instead of nuts? I have everything on hand that this recipe calls for, so I may just try it!

Suldog said...

Damn. That sounds way simple - and good, too. I think I may have found a way to put on those extra 15 pounds I was considering this coming year :-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm - sad cake -- now, I always was a Pioneer Baking Mix person myself back when I used biscuit mixes...now I use Pilsbury frozen biscuits --buttermilk only!--and don't let the "frozen' fool you - they are YUMMMYYYY!

Lori said...

Oh, great recipe. Looks so easy to make. I'm going to try that. If only someone could tell me what Bisquick is.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Melissa, the chocky chips sound like a great addition!

Suldawg, glad to be of help. :)

Rat a tat Kat, you're right. Them's some awesome biscuits! Especially when eaten in a log cabin in the mountains when the leaves are changing.

Oh, Lori, my culinarily deprived friend. Go to the grocery store and to the flour aisle. You'll see a big box of biscuit mix there called Bisquick!

Anonymous said...

How funny! That same recipe is in my mom's old recipe box I got when she passed away. I've seen it many times and never made it. I'll have to see if THIS one has a time on it!

Anonymous said...

Will let you know. Come one Colby, give it a go.
Oren

Angie Ledbetter said...

Thank you, Sharla. Love to have a baking time for it. :)

And you let me know about the Dutch oven conversion too, Oren.

Labels (Posts, not Peoples)

Powered By Blogger