Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tasty Tuesday ~~ Smothered Squash


Before we talk squash, let's talk spam! Fix your settings to moderate all comments that are over two days old. This keeps about 99% of the evil spam from being published on your beloved blog. It also negates the necessity of having that confounded {insert cuss words here} Word Verification control on. Now . . . on with the recipe:


Smothered Squash


6 medium-small yellow squash cut in 1/4-inch rounds 
1 medium white or Vidalia onion cut in thin rings
Olive or coconut oil 
1 tsp. sugar of half a packet of sweetener 


Saute onions in oil for about 10 minutes or until they turn clear. Add in squash and stir. Season with sea salt, black pepper and a sprinkle of garlic powder to taste. Cover and simmer on medium low for about 20 minutes or until squash is "fall apart" tender. Serves 6. 


Easy, quick, delicious! 



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that word verification thing - ERRGHH! And, to boot, for some reason I am not able to comment on blogs that have it -- this is a new thing. So, I go by a blog, read it, then go to comment and can't. Dangity --

Y'allses - take the captcha WV off pleassseee!

Anyway -love me some squash! :-D

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Wonder if this would work with frozen yellow squash? This store I shop has had big bags of it on sale for some time, and I keep buying more and more. Put it in soup mostly.

Aging Ophelia said...

Sure, it would, Karen, but will take a little more cooking to evaporate the excess liquid. I'd use the frozen stuff straight, not thawed, and not add salt till the dish was finished cooking, to avoid bringing out more water.

Angie Ledbetter said...

LOL, right/write on, Kat!

Karen -- I don't see why not.

HH -- Good thought! You could also thaw and squish out some/most of the water on paper towel beforehand. Kinda like cooking eggplant? :) Thanks for stopping by and have a great rest-o'the-week.

Karen said...

I just made some yellow squash, but because my hubbie doesn't like it, I added some of his grilled hotdogs, chopped with onions. Hey, guess what? He ate it. :P

Angie Ledbetter said...

LMBBO, Karen! Good for you. :D

Suldog said...

I love squash (all root vegetables, actually.)

I personally set mine for 7 days, not 2. It still keeps out most spam and I don't have to moderate comments quite so often.

4 Life said...

OMG! You had me at the PHOTO! Yellow Squash - or as we often refer to it in Texas, Summer Squash - is one of my FAVORITE things in the world to eat!

My grandmother used to cut it into sticks (raw) for dipping into dips.

My other grandmother used to fry it in cornmeal.

I love to smother it similar to what you do.

Oh, anyway it's cut, cooked or eaten - I'M IN ALL THE WAY!!!

Labels (Posts, not Peoples)

Powered By Blogger