Truman Capote's Cornbread
1 tablespoon butter or bacon drippings
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups stone-ground white cornmeal
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place butter or drippings in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven.
2. Combine eggs and buttermilk in small bowl or measuring cup; whisk together with a fork.
3. In medium bowl combine sugar, salt, baking soda and cornmeal, stirring well to combine.
4. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients, beating just until the dry ingredients are moistened, no more.
5. Pull the skillet from the oven. It should be good and hot, with the fat sizzling. Swirl the pan to coat it. Quickly transfer the batter to the hot skillet and return skill to the oven. Bake until browned and pulling away from the skillet, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot, cut into wedges from the pan.