Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tasty Tuesday ~~ Snappy Brussels Sprouts


I know this is one of those veggies like broccoli that everyone loves to hate, but if you give 'em a fair shake, they're really good. There's some confusion on their name (Brussel vs. Brussels), but these little cabbage-like beauties pack a powerful health benefit punch: 


@ Cholesterol-lowering and fiber-loaded 
@ Good for digestion 
@ Stabilize DNA inside white blood cells (infection fighters) 
@ Cancer protection 

So, now that you know the true inner beauty of Brussels Sprouts, here's a quick and delicious recipe: 


Snappy Brussels Sprouts




Steam a bag of frozen sprouts or enough fresh for four servings, until tender (but not mushy). Turn off heat and drain. Add in 3 T. garlic butter (or Smart Balance + minced garlic to taste, or 1 T. coconut oil + minced garlic). I've made them all three ways and each version is good. Squeeze in juice from half a fresh lemon. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix flavors. Put the lid back on and let "marinate" for a few minutes. Serve hot. 

What's your favorite green veggie? 


9 comments:

Hilary said...

They used to be the only veggie I didn't like. I've learned to love them now - since I discovered the secret of selecting small, undersized sprouts.

These all sound quite yummy. I cook mine in the microwave, drain them and add lemon juice, butter/margarine, freshly ground pepper, a hint of nutmeg and Parmesan cheese

Kittie Howard said...

I admit it -- I'm weird. I adore Brussels sprouts -- am often delighted hub hates the little green balls. Thanks for this yummy recipe!

Linda Leschak said...

My hatred for brussel sprouts came from the way mom cooked them... boiled into mush - the house stunk for days. My husband had the same experience. So when my sister sent me a recipe she said I absolutely HAD to try, I was a little hesitant. I mean, didn't she have the same stinky house, mushy sprout memories as I did? But I gave it a shot and now I LOVE the things! As does hubby.

Andrea (Andee) Beltran said...

I'm with Kittie - I LOVE brussels sprouts! My husband is not a lover of vegetables, sadly, but I am happy this is one he will eat oddly enough. Thanks for the recipe!

madeline40 said...

I love brussels sprouts but I can't get my husband to eat them. But, I will try these. This recipe looks delish.
Thanks.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I've learned to love them also. I usually stir fry in olive oil and garlic. Then finish with a tad of balsamic. Would never have thought.

Marina Aimer said...

Do olives count?? I love all the mixed ones at the Whole Foods olive bar! I do kind of like b. sprouts, but am not a cook (as you know!). I love the crisp green beans from the Whole Foods takeout section (see a trend here?). As always, your food here looks devine, and I'm sure tastes that way too! Thanks for sharing.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Love all your "B.S. stories." LOL Gonna try your recipe next time, Hilary!

Anonymous said...

I love caramalized BS with onions and garlic - mmmmmm - done in an iron skillet - cooked with very little liquid - you can roast them this way, too, in the oven mmm

even bs haters love these bs's!

Labels (Posts, not Peoples)

Powered By Blogger